Hi Rosemary,

What version of Disk Utility are you using? It should be version 11.5
If it isn't download & install the Combo version overtop of your system.
Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)   <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959>

If you do have the correct version of Disk Utility, I would suggest you try
running Disk Utility from another Admin. User Account.
If you don't have another Admin User Account on your MBP, create a temporary
account (you can delete it later if you wish).

If Disk Utility works from the other/new Admin Account, then the problem is in
the your User account.
If the other/new Admin Account also fails, then I'd run it from the SL
Installation DVD.
Just boot from the DVD and after you choose the language, go up to the Menu
bar, Utility's, and run it from there.

I think get Disk Utility working fist then we tackle why external drives are
not mounting.

Running the Combo Update overtop often sorts problems out, especially if
something has been missed in updates.