On 29/01/2010, at 2:38 PM, Dark1 wrote:
Although I believe that sales of hard copies, in newspapers, mags and books, will decline over time I don't think there will be a significant drop soon.

It's already happening:
The Great Media Collapse of 2009

http://hightalk.net/2009/03/13/the-great-media-collapse-of-2009/

This is from TIME magazine: “The crisis in journalism has reached meltdown proportions. It is now possible to contemplate a time when some major cities will no longer have a newspaper and when magazines and network-news operations will employ no more than a handful of reporters.”

This is from Salon: “Journalism as we know it is in crisis. Daily newspapers are going out of business at an unprecedented rate, and the survivors are slashing their budgets. Thousands of reporters and editors have lost their jobs. No print publication is immune, including the mighty New York Times.”

It actually may be worse than that. Traditional media is on its death bed – particularly those that rely on the printed page (magazines and newspapers). But local TV broadcasters are also showing “flu-like symptoms.” The next several years will completely and fundamentally alter the media landscape like no other period in history. And as a result, business as usual for people who rely on the media – from journalists to PR consultants – simply isn’t possible.

Newspaper Crisis - U.S. newspaper circulation falling faster, report says As more readers switched to online news, average weekday circulation at 379 dailies fell 10.6 percent from April to September from the same six-month period last year, Reuters reports, citing the U.S. Audit Bureau of Circulations. Sunday circulation measured at 562 papers dropped 7.5 percent.
http://knightcenter.utexas.edu/blog/?q=en/taxonomy/term/1638

America's newspapers business is collapsing:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,657957,00.html

Tribune's collapse rings alarm bells for newspaper industry
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23599297-tribunes-collapse-rings-alarm-bells-for-newspaper-industry.do

The iPhone has been very popular and sales are increasing but only a small proportion of the population owns one. I think the uptake of the iPad will follow the same pattern.

The iPhone captured 21% of smartphone sales in Australia in 2009 and smartphones captured 51% of the mobile phone market in Australia in 2009.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Smartphone-Market-Sees-29-Increase-in-Australia-124186.shtml
http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=985912

It took 9 years for Apple to sell 250 million iPods, but the iPhone OS platform worldwide has already hit 78 million devices in only 2 and a half years. iTunes music sales took 8 years to hit 8.5 billion tracks sold, but iPhone App downloads hit 3 billion in only 1 and a half years.

Perhaps iPhone uptake is not as small as you think.

Also, remember that all of those millions of iPhones and iPod touches will also be able to access the iBook Store and desktop PC and Mac users will almost certainly also be able to read iBooks, which means the 125 million active credit card users on the iTunes Store makes for a huge installed base already. As such, even if the iPad itself is not a big seller initially, it has primed the pump.

:-)