Sent from Ronni's iPhone

On 30/01/2010, at 3:40 PM, Nicholas Pyers <[email protected]> wrote:


On 30/01/2010, at 6:09 PM, Andrew wrote:
HI Folks
While sharing a couple of files between my 2 iMacs across the home network for printing purposes, I ejected what I thought was Mac no2 while on Mac no1. When I then tried to check email on Mac no1 it behaved as though no account was set up. I restarted Mac no1 and it is now a blank canvas - background pic is default, iTunes, iPhoto etc all like I'm using them for the first time. Mac no 2 (10.5.8) is fine and I am using it to type this. I really need to recover the other one. Unfortunately it is OS 10.4.11 so no Time Machine. The only other thing I did prior to ejecting/unmounting as described was rename the home folder.
Any ideas?

Yeap, renaming your Home Folder will be the cause of the problem.

MAKE A BACKUP NOW (even manually copying to another HD will be a start) just to be safe Then delete the newly created home folder (which was automatically re-created when Mac OS X couldn't find it (because you renamed it)
Empty the trash
Rename your old Home folder back to the correct name
Reboot and hopefully all will be fine

Oh Andrew,
Why did you rename you Home folder... This is a BAD thing to do!

If you are unable to trash the new home folder as Nicholas has suggested, you could try to rename/add "_new" to the new home directory's name & rename the old home directory to your old correct short name.
 rename/

Cheers
Ronni


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>