From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Ronda Brown
Sent: Wednesday, 24 February 2010 12:21 PM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: Time Capsule - slow response

Hi Peter,

On 24/02/2010, at 8:02 AM, Crisp, Peter wrote:

My wife was typing a Word doc on her Macbook last night and was typing
for around 20 minutes and then went to Save As (for the first time with
this doc). She browsed to try and save the document to the External Hard
Drive attached to the USB port of the Time Capsule. In so selecting the
destination drive in the Browser selector of Word, it froze. She doesn't
think Time Machine was doing a back-up at the same time, but it froze
(technicolour spinning ball). Only way out was to force power down the
Macbook. Maybe there is a recoverable file somewhere but I have no idea
where that might be.

As Severin has mentioned "Save" first in Word.

Is the USB HD a Single self-powered USB hard disk (with support for Time
Machine backups)

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421>

You do understand that, if the drive is connected via USB to the Time
Capsule it will NOT be backed up by Time Machine.

If the drive is connected via USB to your Mac it will be backed up by
Time Machine.

Yes, I am aware that being USB connected to the Time Capsule it is NOT
backed up. As the Macbook is used and moved around quite a bit, it is
not preferable to have the External drive connected to the Macbook with
its transformer to lug around as well.

        I have also noticed that when a back up commences WHILE I am
using Safari to look at a web site, Safari freezes too - I suspect due
to the Time Capsule activity.

NO, this should NOT happen, I can be doing anything on my MacBook Pro
and Time Machine just goes about its job backing up every hour in the
background. I don't notice any 'slowdown', in fact I would not know that
Time Machine is backing up to Time Capsule unless I glance & notice the
'Time Machine Backups' icon on my desktop.

        When opening a Finder window and selecting "....Time Capsule",
it takes some time before the next panel to the right reflects the Time
Capsule drives' existence and the externally attached HD. Sometimes it
doesn't even establish a connection - and then the spinning wheel of
death - for what should really be a very simple process for it to
respond to. Something is going on here.

Again this should NOT happen.

Do you have File Sharing set on the USB Drive attached to Time Capsule &
on Time Capsule? I will check this, thanks for the prompt.

Mount the USB drive on your Time Capsule, then launch AirPort Utility
and enter "manual setup" mode with your Time Capsule.

You should see a Disks panel. Select that. You should now see the USB
drive.

Select the "File Sharing" tab and "Enable file sharing". Select the
security you want, then update the Time Capsule.

You should now be able to connect to the disk via the sidebar of a
Finder window, assuming you have the Finder configured to show networked
drives there.

To Enter Time Machine, you go to the icon at the top of your Menu Bar -
Enter Time Machine.

Is this normal behaviour? Do others have this same behaviour?

It's NOT normal behaviour, and I have not encountered it.

I am set to "n" and 5Ghz and generally Time Machine backups are reliable
albeit very slow. The transmit rate varies from 54 up to 144mbps

My Time Machine hourly backups to 1TB Time Capsule are fairly fast o
wireless backup. I haven't checked the speed for awhile so I'm unable to
tell you exactly at this time.

        Machine is a Macbook (Dec, 2009) with Snow Leopard and 1TB Time
Capsule with Maxtor 1TB external HD attached.

        SWMBO about to head off to orbit.......

        Regards

        Peter...

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo

2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB

OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

*****************************
NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When
addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice
(collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement
exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such
information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not
assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the
information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the
message from your computer.