Hi Peter,

Where do I start ?

Perhaps first I should explain that the Primary Purpose of the USB port on the
Time Capsule is to allow users to connect an External Backup drive to the Time
Capsule in order to Archive its contents, using the Airport Utility App.
This will activate a process in the Time Capsule controller that will transfer
data from its internal drive to the external drive over the USB connection, at
its maximum speed.
In other words, a backup of the backups on the Time Capsule.

Or for connecting a USB shared Printer.

Also USB  drives attached to the TC  tend to spin down after about 1 minute of
inactivity, hence you noticing the USB drive was not spinning.

How is the USB Drive formatted? It should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Do you have "File Sharing" enabled on the USB Drive?
Airport Utility - Disks - File Sharing  - "Enable File Sharing"
Also are you using Airport Utility v5.5 (which is only available on the Disc
that came with TC).

I think I remember you have a Dual-Band  802.11n only (5GHz)-802.11b/g/n)
Network.

When you go to attach the files into an email, I would imagine you are copying
the files from the Networked USB Drive, wirelessly through Time Capsule back to
your MacBook. If this is what happens ... it is going to be twice as long as if
you copied the files directly to the MacBook (Desktop), or if you directly
connected the USB drive to your MacBook.

I'll give it some more thought, if I come up with a better solution, I'll let
you know.