Hi Wendy,

Have a look at this link :
http://www.cinemablend.com/technology/Airplane-Mode-Not-A-Guarantee-For-iPhone-Use-6801.html

In theory any wireless communications are disabled in this mode, but that
doesn't mean this has been accepted by all the authorities.

From a physics perspective radio waves penetration is not causing significant
damage.

http://library.thinkquest.org/27930/spectrum.htm

Mobile telephones

Main article: Mobile phone radiation and health
Mobile phone radiation and health concerns have been raised, especially
following the enormous increase in the use of wireless mobile telephony
throughout the world (as of August 2005, there were more than 2 billion users
worldwide).Mobile phones use electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range,
and some[35] believe this may be harmful to human health. These concerns have
induced a large body of research (both epidemiological and experimental, in
non-human animals as well as in humans). Concerns about effects on health have
also been raised regarding other digital wireless systems, such as data
communication networks.
The World Health Organization, based upon the consensus view of the scientific
and medical communities, states that health effects (e.g. headaches or
promotion of cancer) are unlikely to be caused by cellular phones or their base
stations,[36][37] and expects to make recommendations about mobile phones in
October 2009.[38]
Taken from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation_and_health

Besides this, your question raises some interesting issues. If there were
health reasons sufficient enough for the government to force use to switch our
phones off, then surely phones are not save and as such should be made illegal.
If on the other hand they are save then why are they worried. My feeling is
that the truth is somewhere in between. Personally I like to use my earphones
when possible to give a little bit of distance between my head and the phones
transmitter.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if in 20 years time they come up with
irrefutable evidence that mobile phone radiation is harmful to ones health. Not
that long ago Radium was included in all kinds of beauty products
(http://itotd.com/articles/654/the-discovery-of-radium/).

Quite a lot of people who are smarter then me had a look at this and haven't
come up with conclusive evidence sufficient enough to convince the government
of the possible risks involved. In the end you have to make up your own mind
what and who you believe. Also bear in mind just because you switch your phone
off, there is still the rest of us who haven't.

Have fun
Alex