On 16/06/2010, at 8:32 AM, Adrian Skehan wrote:

> 
> I don't wish to panic anyone but thought this may be of interest.
> 
> Beware Spyware on your Mac
> 
> Intego, the Mac security specialist, has discovered a spyware application 
> that is installed by a number of freely distributed Mac applications and 
> screen savers found on a variety of websites.
> 
> http://www.ugnn.com/2010/06/beware-spyware-on-your-mac/
> 
> 
> 

This story popped up a few weeks ago on MacDailyNews, among others. While 
Intego's announcement is typically vague regarding just what software and 
screen savers are involved (in fact they don't specify it at all), further 
investigation revealed that the screen savers involved all came from the same 
publisher, and there was very little, if any, actual software involved.

Best cure? Don't download this stuff. I regret now that I didn't take note of 
the screen savers site, but I can assure you that it was a very obscure 
publisher, the sort you'd only stumble across in the dark.

Intego and similar companies seem compelled to keep providing these warnings 
against the invisible and obscure, I guess in order to justify their products. 
The best protection remains User Diligence, even on Windows.


Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>