Wow David
No one wanted to touch this one... is this a touchy subject or something?

I have used Free Download Manager (freedownloadmanager.org) on windows for
years with good results. It was good at downloading multiple segments of a
file simultaneously and also resuming a partial download after an
interruption - very useful for large files. It does not have a Mac version.

SInce moving to mac I have mostly just been using the standard download
feature in Firefox but have used 'Down them all' which is available as an
addon for Firefox. I mainly use it for   convenience than speed and am not
sure if there is much of a speed improvement at this stage but it seems to
work fairly quickly. I am not sure if browsers on Macs download multiple
segments of files simultaneously or not but I have found that Firefox is not
that good at resuming interrupted downloads. So a download manager is
helpful for that.
I am not a fan of Safari so I cannot really speak from experience about it.
(I tried to like it, I really did, but found that to get all the
functionality I was used to the addons would leave me badly out of pocket -
whereas the addons for Firefox and Chrome are mostly free... and before they
all cry "quality" - just as good in my experience. I was willing to pay a
little but the list was adding up to ridiculous figures. But that is another
story.)

Regards

Shayne


On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM, David Wood <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> After all the recent mails on ISP's and speeds, I decided to phone Westnet
> Support one more time to see what could be done to help us poor folk out in
> the sticks.
>
> It seems there is little on offer.  Where we are situated there is no ADSL2
> available but they were helpful in "downgrading" my plan as I was actually
> paying for a speed that I could not attain... a saving of $20 per month....
> thank you Westnet.
>
> During the course of the conversation the guy at Westnet did suggest I look
> at a "Download Manager" to assist with the speed, quoting that he had used
> one and improved speed by up to 20%.  Does anyone have any experience of
> using a download manager or can make a recommendation?  I have looked in the
> archives and could find nothing there and then "Googled" as usual and was
> hit with a myriad of offers.
>
> Any input on this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> iMac 24" - 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
> Version 10.6.4
>
>
>
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
>
>


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>