Greetings! Your post was very informative and to the point. The only point
you did not cover is the installation of a battery system to supply power in
the evenings. I think the most important aspect of building a solar home is
to build your home using insulation in the form of Styrofoam or Polystyrene
blocks with rebar and cement infill. The second most important is your point
on building orientation. The third is the placement and use of thermal mass.
The utility cost savings with the use of solar hot water and photovoltaic
systems can be increased by proper building orientation use of thermal mass,
insulating double or triple pane windows, super insulation and an
experienced building contractor.

Cheers, Joe