Hi Ronni
Thankyou for that info, yes there was a blue screen.  I did repair the disc 
from the installation disc eventually and no errors were reported.
I could not restart after disc repair but not "repair permissions".  I will 
remember to repair the disc and permissions in future before updating.
I have now restored from earlier today from Time Machine and now everything 
seems OK.
Thanks again
Cheers
John
                                                                                
                                                                                
                                                                                
                                                                                
                                        Ronda Brown wrote:

> 
> On 15/08/2010, at 3:43 PM, John Daniels wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Hi all
>> My wife installed the latest security update today after which the computer 
>> would not start. I have tried putting in the installation disc and holding 
>> down the c key to start without success. I have accessed Disc Utility on the 
>> startup disc and have repaired permissions, no luck. I have a Time Machine 
>> Backup on an external disc but am unsure how or what I should restore or 
>> what else to try.
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> Cheers
>> John
> 
> Hi John,
> 
> Did the installation of the Security Update finish installing?
> Are you experiencing a 'Blue Screen' on startup?
> 
> Disconnect any external devices other than keyboard and mouse.
> Try "Repair Disk" from the Installation Disc.
> Startup from  the installation Disc (while holding the "C" key). Once the 
> computer has booted from the installation disc.
> Select "Utilities" from the menubar and open Disk Utility. 
> Then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the 
> drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk 
> button. 
> If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until 
> no errors are reported. 
> If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. 
> Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. 
> Now restart normally. 
> 
> I'm not saying this is your problem but this sort of problem most often 
> occurs when the user's system is already corrupted, and the user did not 
> repair the hard drive and permissions before applying the update. 
> It's equally important to follow any provided instructions.
> 
> 
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> 
> 17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
> 2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm
> 
> OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>