Thanks for info Neil.

Sorry all that I dropped off the radar suddenly .. sent to hospital with the foot problem I mentioned (infection causing cellulitis).
Great - got to spend my birthday & more in hospital!
With all my family here from London/NSW/Vic!!

Have the iPad .. working round to setting up ...

My next question is:
It has a Singapore wall plug (for charging) - can I buy just an Australian Apple equivalent?
If so, where?
Or will I just have to use a travel type wall plug adaptor?

Cheers .. BarbZ



On 8 Nov 2010, at 11:13 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:
Hi Barb,

You say your existing ethernet modem/router is working well and has given
you no problems and that (until the promise of a new iPad) you weren't
planing on using a wireless network.

In your situation, I wouldn't bother getting a wireless modem (which Apple doesn't make) - I would just get a wireless base station (which Apple does
make).

The AirPort Extreme is probably overkill for you - since the Airport Express
should do everything you need:

<http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB321X/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes>

Being Apple, it is very easy to set-up and you also have the options (but
only if you want to) of plugging a USB printer into it (for wireless
printing) or connecting it to your stereo and streaming your iTunes music
from your computer to your stereo.

Even though my billion ADSL/VOIP router does have wireless capability it is old and didn't play well with my Macs if I tried to turn on WPA security - I could have persevered (updating modem firmware, etc) but I had an Airport Express and found it much easier to turn off the wireless on the Billion
modem and just set-up a wireless network with the Airport Express.

Just my 2c worth ;o)


Cheers


Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Email: [email protected]







on 7/11/10 9:04 PM, Barb Zahari at [email protected] wrote:



Thanks Dave ...
Yep, I know!
He's visiting from London atm.
(Not too keen on driving much here as he's been overseas for 20+ years
& doesn't know his way round any more!)

I know NOTHING about Airports, so will have to look that up as well -
never taken much notice as I wasn't planning on bothering with wireless
ever - very small house, i occupant, seems unnecessary.

Thanks for your suggestions.

BarbZ


On 7 Nov 2010, at 8:43 PM, David Paul wrote:
Hi BarbZ

What a great birthday gift!

Combined Wireless / Ethernet modems do exist and the benefits and
otherwise
of different brands regularly appears in the discussions here so a
search of
the archives may help you here.

Have you thought about just getting an Aiport Express or Aiport
Extreme to
your existing set up?

Daniel Kerr may be able to help with supplying any of these three
options
for you and save your son some driving ...

Regards
Dave


On 7/11/10 8:28 PM, "Barb Zahari" <[email protected]> wrote:


Hi all

My son is giving me an iPad (wiFi plus 3G) for my birthday this week
(it's a biggie!  8-D).
It'll be great because I'm having to spend about 90% of my time on the
bed with foot elevated atm, & have only a pretty old lappie.
I haven't used wireless connections at all before, so pretty clueless
on this.

I'm with Westnet, so far using the ethernet modem/router they supplied
(no problems experienced).
I also have 3 "Internet Power Point" (pick up the internet connection
in a different room through an ordinary wall power point).

He wants to go shopping this week for a wireless modem for the iPad.
My questions are:

(1) Can you get a modem which combines both wireless & ethernet
(so I can go on using non-wireless gear).

(2) Any suggestions as to the best modem to purchase for this
combination?
Or just for a wireless modem if the combination isn't possible.

Cheers .. BarbZ







-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>