Hi Tim,

I think the problem is not that the developers have created a pdf file with
a .aspx extension (Windows is even more touchy about extensions being
right).

The problem is that the .aspx link is not actually a straight link to the
file - it is a link to the process on the web server that
generates/retrieves the file.

I just usually let the browser open the pdf in a new tab, carry on with what
I'm doing and then check the pdf quickly - if it is worth saving I just
right-click on it and "save as".

Alternatively if I just want to download it and it ends up with the .aspx
extension then I just change the extension.

I agree though, it is a bit of a pain sometimes ;o)



Cheers




Neil
-- 
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Email: [email protected]




on 11/12/10 1:47 PM, Tim Law at [email protected] wrote:

> 
> Hello,
> 
> In various websites I download a document and it goes into my Downloads folder
> wearing an .aspx extension.
> 
> The only way I can open it is to manually change the extension to .pdf when
> Preview will open it without fuss.
> 
> The other solution I have just discovered is that by right clicking on the
> link in Mail and selecting 'download linked file', the file appears in my
> Downloads folder with a .pdf extension such as ShowPage.aspx.pdf, whereas if I
> simply click on the link it comes through as ShowPage.aspx
> 
> I am looking for a solution that doesn't require me to do this as it will help
> others in the family, and me!
> 
> Apple Support forums doesn't seem to have come up with any better solution,
> and even if I set the 'Open with' in File Info, to Preview, it won't work as
> Preview doesn't like the .ASPX extension
> 
> I understand this is a windows file extension and the web site developers
> could just as easily create the download in .pdf format which would make it
> complaint cross platform.
> 
> 
> Ta
> 
> Tim
> 
>





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>