While I was at my parents just the other day I got this exact same phone
call about an "my computer being infected" when I picked up their phone,
apparently they are getting it about once a week.

Not half an hour later I answered their phone again and got a different
scam call. A woman purporting to be from a delivery company had a computer
with (my fathers name) for (my parents address)  but it was short of
delivery fee by just $10 and that it couldn't be delivered without full
payment and if I'd like to please give them my credit card details so that
it could be delivery, oh and it's a really expensive looking Sony Viao so
it would be a shame for its delivery to be delayed just because it was
short on delivery payment.

My guess is that they were trying to get people to think "ohhh  mistaken
delivery of expensive laptop! Mine for just $10! whooot! " or  for less
dishonest folk maybe that it was a christmas gift from a relative/friend.

After I asked them to deliver it C.O.D. and hung up my parents said that
they were getting that one every couple of weeks sometimes for Apple
products, sometimes for Sony products.

mark.sec...@uwa.edu.au
Mark Secker (Ba. Bus. IS/IP, ECU)
Teaching Facilities Administrator
Business School IT Services

The University of Western Australia - CRICOS provider number 00126G
M261 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009
Phone 6488 1855, Fax 6488 1055,