Thanks for your helpful reply, I must say I felt quite proud of myself as I had 
done ALL of the checks you had suggested. I think it is just a case of not 
enough bandwidth for Quinninup.. I eventually went into the telcentre in 
Pemberton and the put me on broadband and whoosh,I got the lot in about 15 secs 
(slight exaggeration) :-)

Thanks for your email

Mac
On 15/12/2010, at 8:50 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> 
> Hi Mac,
> 
> Have you checked if you are actually 'online' … open Safari and see if you 
> can connect to a website. It might be just a problem with your email not 
> downloading.
> You haven't got 'Call Waiting' have you?
> Also check you don't have "Disconnect if idle for xx minutes' enabled.
> 
> You may have set your computer to automatically disconnect from the Internet 
> after a period of inactivity. Check your PPP Options:
> 1.  Open System Preferences.
> 2.  Click Network.
> 3.  From the Show menu, choose Internal Modem.
> 4. Click the PPP tab, then click PPP Options.
> 
> Do you have a bad phone quality?
> 
> Also check your connection settings: This is going back to days I can't 
> remember very well ;-)
> 
>       • From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
>       • From the View menu, choose Network.
>       • Be sure that the checkbox for "Internal Modem" (or another modem) is 
> selected.
>       • Choose Internal Modem from the Show pop-up menu.
>       • Click the PPP tab.
>       • Check the Account Name and Telephone Number fields to be sure you 
> have correctly entered the information your ISP gave you.
>       • If you choose to save your password, retype it to be sure it is 
> correct.
>       • Click the TCP/IP tab. Follow your ISP's instructions for setting up 
> this pane. 
>       • Click the Modem tab. In the Modem pop-up menu, be sure you have 
> selected a modem script that matches your modem.
>       • If your telephone exchange is limited to either Tone or Pulse, be 
> sure that the radio button selected next to "Dialing:" matches your exchange.
>       • If you subscribe to voicemail service that lets you know when you 
> have a message with a "beeping" dial tone, deselect the checkbox for "Wait 
> for dial tone before dialing."
>       • If you have made any changes, click Apply Now.
> 
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> 
> On 15/12/2010, at 8:18 AM, McCallum Malcolm wrote:
> 
>> 
>> For my sins , I am on dialup at Quinninup in the South-West. I keep getting 
>> download  problems which I would like some Guru's help in understanding. I 
>> can dial in  OK start downloading my emails and then after a little time I 
>> get to a fullstop. Activity says downloading 1 of 22       0KB/s and it may 
>> stay like that for 5 to 10 MINUTES :-(. What is happening? Does the local 
>> exchange say you have had your turn let someone else have a turn or what?!
>> 
>> 
>> Merry Christmas :-)
>> 
>> 
>> Mac
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>