While I can't say for sure what is going on I can say that I have had
sketchy results adding additional drives to G4 towers of various flavours.
I believe it is the IDE controllers.

The main 100MHz bus sometimes hates second drives attached to it and in my
opinion will affect the boot drive's performance if it does work anyway.
Depending on model there is a 66MHz bus which is often vacant, good for dumb
storage but I would not have software there due to the speed hit on this
slower bus.
The 33MHz bus that the optical drive is on also can take a HDD but the
speed.........

I made these issues go away by purchasing an ACard 133MHz (2 port, supports
4 drives) IDE controller from Daniel Kerr. Sonnet make good ones too.
I use this alone, I'm out of love with those onboard controllers ;-)

Good Luck
Paul



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>