Hi Ronni,
I tried a couple of the things you suggested but kept getting a message that
the disk could not be unmounted and so the Repair Disk could not be done.

So I decided that erasing and reformatting the disk was the only option, but
again it was not possible as it could not unmount the disk.

Following a previous post of yours about deleting, I have not tried to delete
by dragging the backups to the Trash.

What's next??

Regards,

Peter Bull
iMac 10.6.6

Windows 7 (also under sufferance!)

On 07/02/2011, at 7:36 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> On 07/02/2011, at 6:48 PM, Peter Bull wrote:
>

>> I have an external hard drive for backups and I think there is a problem
>> with a backup of a USB drive. I tried to delete so I could do another backup
>> but I get an error message -50 which the Apple website translates as "-50
>> paramErr Error in user parameter list".
>>
>> Time Machine also informs me that it can't do its hourly backup.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> How did you try to delete the backup? You should never delete Time Machine
> backups by moving them to the Trash with Finder.
> They should only be deleted by using the Time Machine backup itself (enter
> Time Machine, select the backup, click the gear button, select "delete
> backup”.
>
> Otherwise our TM backups will corrupted. If they are you would need to
> reformat your Time Machine disk with Disk Utility and start over.
>
> But first: Try to “Repair the Backup Time Machine Drive
> <http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/A5.html>
>
> Time Machine won’t be able to do it’s hourly backup until you can repair the
> File System on the drive.
>

> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> 17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7