Hi Ronni and other's here.

I have a similar but not identical predicament with my media management. I
want the portability of my media so have to have an external drive to do
that - a 500GB WD formatted to be Mac and Windows compatible. I have approx
200GB of music + more in movies,etc. I have iTunes on the various machines
all mapped to the path relating to the external drive when it's connected. I
have no music in the local iTunes predetermined C:\ location at all - this
is only on Windows machines I might add. The concept works reasonably well.
I just got an Apple tv this weekend - best $128 I've spent in a long time.
It just works - brilliantly too - great intuitive interface and hugely
increases the accessibility to my media. The kids love it too.

My specific issue is I had to rebuild it all this weekend after a 'mate' at
work moved one of the subfolders within my Music directory, when I couldn't
find something after iTunes said "can't locate" I had to do a Windows search
to locate the file then I uncovered what had been done. Moral - don't loan
hard drives for others to copy your stuff without looking over their
shoulder. Anyway. I could have maybe solved the problem a bit more elegantly
but figured I'd uninstall iTunes (my Windows PC), clobber the itunes library
files and then reinstall and do a fresh import of the root Music folder into
iTunes. All going well and nicely settled. The problem I have now is during
the "Determining Gapless Playback" it reaches a point part way through that
where it says something like "register error, shutting the application
down". SO it shuts down on its own. Then to continue using iTunes, I have to
start it again and around a minute after starting again - it heads off to
determine its gapless playback stuff again.

Is there a way to immobilize the gapless exercise? I find no benefit with it
anyway - for me at least though some might.

Any thoughts welcomed.

I'm looking to get a 27"imac shortly whereupon I will have (1TB) the media
held on board so the portable will in effect be a back up of what's on the
imac.

Regards

Pete.

  _____