Chris, I have this issue with Mail also when it comes to single-page image
files. I'm not sure why, but a couple of workarounds:

Right-click and Compress the image file, ie. convert to a zip file, before
attaching. This usually works, although there's a chance that the recipient's
mail filters treat the zip file as suspicious. Some corporates don't allow
incoming zip files at all.

If sending a single page image file in a format which does handle multiple
pages, such as pdf of tiff, add a blank page (Preview can handle this) so that
you send a two-page document to the recipient.

Happy to hear of easier workarounds and some insight into the underlying cause.

Cheers, Steven