Hi Shayne,

Thanks for drawing our attention to the Activity Monitor Touch app. I will get
myself a copy. I do wonder, however, how HandyPadSoft can get away with copying
the Apple icon for Activity Monitor.

I did notice in a few emails what could be misconceptions about background apps
on the iPhone and the iPad. Apart from a few exceptions noted below, there is
no penalty at all for having an app in the background. The Apple engineers, as
often they are, were very clever when they introduced background apps to iOS.
They in fact created a new paradigm to ensure that while an app is available
for immediate switching it is rarely using resources. This ensures that the
battery life of the iOS device will not be negatively impacted and that memory
will be freed up when required.

Here is how it works. When an app goes into the background when say the user
presses the Home button or switches to a different app, execution for the app
is suspended. The app is given a few event cycles to save any data and record
any user choices. There is a framework where the app can be given limited,
intermittent processing time but these are exceptions that must be programmed
using specific frameworks. The examples of apps that continue with limited
processing time in the background are those that require location service -
such as GPS turn-by-tun applications, those that play music such as the iPod
app, or those that say accept incoming phone calls like Skype does. Of these,
only the location service, if it is poorly programmed, is a real problem. The
newly introduced in iOS 3 (I think it was) Push Notification, also means that a
program can remain suspended until there is work for it to do.

If memory becomes short, background processes are terminated to free up memory.
The are closed down in reverse order of last access, so a program you haven't
used for two days, say, will be closed first. The program is given a few event
cycles to save user data and then its memory is released for reuse.

So in principal at least, there is never any need to terminate an app unless it
has a limited form of background processing. The types of background processing
allowed are limited to few special cases. For most apps there is no penalty at
all for running in the background. A few poorly programmed location apps can be
a problem, but bad reviews will often tell you which ones these are.

Cheers,
Carlo