Good stuff

Stuart Breden
PO Box 132
Kalamunda WA 6926
Ph: (08) 9257 1577
Mbl: 0417 053 266

On 18/05/2011, at 2:32 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Hi People,

What is the iPad?

The iPad is NOT a replacement for your computer … yet!
The iPad is the ‘Ultimate Multimedia Device’

My MacBook Pro can do everything the iPad can, but the iPad can’t do everything my MacBook Pro can.

Similarities to a Computer:
It supports customised Apple office software like iWork
It has a 10 hour battery life
It has built in speakers
It supports multitasking and wireless printing
It supports an optional physical keyboard

Differences from a Computer:
It does not support Flash or Javascript on webpages
It runs a mobile operating system and not a powerful desktop operating environment like Mac or Windows. It only supports applications and softwares that are approved by Apple in the app store, and you cannot install 3rd party software without a jailbreak
It does NOT support pen input like other tablet PCs.
It does NOT have a USB or Firewire port for external devices
It does NOT have a port for Ethernet cables
It does NOT have a CD or DVD drive
You cannot upgrade the hardware
It is not, and should not be viewed as a standalone computer, as you need ANOTHER computer to sync your iTunes library to.
Some helpful Links:

The iPad - For Absolute Beginners
Note: This was written before iPad 2 & iOS4 but is still relevant.
<http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/3470-ipad-absolute-beginners.html>
Some topics covered in this post are:

1) What can I do with the iPad?
2) What is the difference between the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G versions?
3) What programs can I use and how do I get them?
3.1) The difference between iPhone and iPad apps.
4) What is this 16, 32 and 64 GB thing? What should I get?
5) Can I watch my own videos and DVDs?
6) How do I set up my iPad the first time?
7) Can I read at PDF files?
8) How do I get my stuff on and off?
9) What can’t I do with it?
10) What does "Not Charging" mean? How do I charge it then?
11) What is “jailbreaking”?
12) My iPad has trouble connecting to my Wi-Fi. The range seems wrong or it keeps asking me for settings and stuff.

How To: Set Up Your iPad the Right Way
<http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/1490-how-set-up-your-ipad-right-way.html >

28 iPad 2 Tips and Tricks
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/222186/28_ipad_2_tips_and_tricks.html>

iPad Guided Tours
<http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/guided-tours/>

iPad Support
<http://www.apple.com/au/support/ipad/>

iPad Manuals
<http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad>

Meet the iPad 2 by Jeff Carlson (great for a beginner)
<http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/meet-the-ipad-2/id425671338?mt=11>

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)