Beware; if you are thinking about upgrading to M$ Word V14, also known as
Word:Mac 2011, then, before updating, do update any older Word documents that
you may have.

I tried to open Word 97 documents with the current Word V14 and they all slowed
the app to a crawl. After a long wait an empty document, or some rubbish
appeared.

Luckily, I also had access to MS Word V12 (Word 2008 for Mac), and it managed
to successfully open most of the old docs and save them in a more recent
format. Pages V4 did not recognise the old documents. TextEdit 1.6 opened the
old docs, but only as plain text files with all of the formatting mumbo-jumbo
included.

Moral of the story:  The current version of M$ Word does not seem to be able to
open older versions of Word files, so update old valuable documents before you
upgrade. It is probably also a good idea to save copies in rich text format,
which will probably have a longer archival life.

Regards,

Ray Forma
Mob +61 (0) 428 596938