Hi Chris
It's very easy to transfer the files via the iTunes interface using the USB
sync cable. You simply connect the device, go to the <Apps> tab, scroll to the
bottom where File Sharing apps are listed and make the transfer(s).
The files listed are of course those on the device (iPad, iPhone) and you have
the option of deleting the existing files if you want to update from the MBP
(select the files and hit the keyboard <delete>) and then use the <Add> button
to replace them from the MBP). Alternatively, use the <Save To> button to
transfer from the device to the MBP and you will be prompted to
overwrite/replace the existing file - this is what you aparently want to do -
the transfer is very quick.

As you have already discovered this is not a sync process so if you have been
updating files on the MBP you will have to transfer the updated file back to
the device before you go off collecting more data - and so on…

PM
pete...@amnet.net.au
0408 902 349