James,
Here's a comment I posted on a similar article a few days back where I
attempted to place Apple's policies in perspective with competitors like Amazon
which might be interesting to some.  While I agree that Apple's flat 30%
commission doesn't work for some business models (ie that of middlemen such as
Amazon, WalMart or Vudu), it is fantastic for the authors, developers, content
creators themselves who can now sell their products directly to the public far
more easily.  Note also that Apple is quite happy for Amazon, Walmart, Vudu and
others to keep their native apps on iOS without an easy subscription link if
they don't want to pay Apple the 30% commission:

Amazon for example is actually more of a greedy, robber-barron of a walled
garden in their own way than Apple.

After all, it was Amazon who charged a 70% commission from authors to publish
on the Kindle until Apple came along and did the unthinkable setting 30% as the
new benchmark which forced Amazon to drop their extortionate rate.

Likewise, does Amazon allow competing ebook apps on the Kindle? No, it is Apple
who is more than happy to host hundreds of ebook readers and apps such as the
Nook, Stanza (until Amazon bought and killed that marvellous product) and
dozens of other smaller publishers as well as the Kindle.

However, Apple is all about cutting out the middleman and are delighted to
allow authors to self-publish and take 70% of the profits if they make use of
Apple's in-app purchase architecture or 100% if they are willing to force
consumers to jump thru hoops at their own website.

The low barrier and convenience that Apple's in-app purchases provide end-users
will keep native apps far more profitable than web apps have ever been even
with Apple's quite legitimate commission.

-Mart