On 04/09/2011, at 10:41 AM, Susan Hastings wrote:

> The other thing about the Apple Store is that you can't order a build to
> order Mac. You either have to purchase from the online store or go to an
> Apple Reseller. This strikes me as ridiculous!

I think it actually makes some sense in that the reason most people go to a
physical Apple Store is to be able to walk out with a new Mac off the shelf.
Custom build-to-order configurations can't be kept in stock in the shop so they
would have to be ordered in anyway so why not order online and have it
delivered to your door?

I guess Apple takes the view that if an item needs to be ordered in, why
attempt to substitute the automated, streamlined online ordering process from
the online store with an in-store process that would take up the time of an
Apple staff member who could probably be better served helping someone.  They
would still I assume help walk anyone through doing an order from the online
store if they had problems?

-Mart