Hi Ronni,

That would have fixed it! As it happens, we decided we really had to get out
and see some more of Paris and I ascertained that there was actually an
Apple store underneath the Louvre - right next to an inverted pyramid
letting light into the spacious area - talk about location, location,
location - so a friendly french apple tech had a jiggle around and got it
working - when I asked what the problem was "eet is just a leeetle bug - no
need to worry" - when I asked him how he had got it to start up he said to
hold the two buttons - which (thanks to your explanation) I now know is a
"hard reboot"

So, I have no idea what caused it - but at least it is fixed and Georgina
and I can again contact each other if we separate :o))

Many thanks Ronni - I really was worried I had somehow killed my iPhone!!

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

on 26/9/11 3:18 PM, Ronda Brown at ro...@mac.com wrote:

> Hi Neil,

Have you tried a Hard Reboot?
A Hard Reboot : Hold the power and
> home buttons until you see the display go dark and AppleĀ¹s logo appears.

Sent
> from Ronni's iPad

On 26/09/2011, at 6:34 PM, Neil Houghton
> <n...@possumology.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This is a somewhat forlorn
> plea - as I think I know the unpalatable answer
> :o((
>
> We are in Paris. I
> have been trying to use my iPhone. It has been hard as
> the so-called wi-fi
> internet at the apartment is an ibook with a 3G modem in
> it. I won't go into
> the details of that - I sort of got it working by
> creating a computer to
> computer network with airport and sharing the
> internet to it - it worked
> after a fashion - enough to do dropbox syncs etc.
>
> HOWEVER - I only
> mention this in case it has some relevance to my REAL
> PROBLEM - my iPhone
> appears to have totally died.
>
> This morning I was trying to dropbox synch
> some stuff from the computer to
> the phone and noticed that I kept losing the
> connection - the wifi was
> connected and then it wasn't - the phone was a
> matter of a few cm from the
> laptop so signal strength wasn't a problem. Each
> time I could reconnect OK
> but then I would lose the connection in a matter
> of seconds. I don't know if
> this is relevant or not as a sign of something
> failing. Anyway, I finally
> achieved the transfers I wanted and stuck the
> phone in my pocket.
>
> Around 10-15 minutes later I went to make a phone
> call and I couldn't wake
> the iPhone - pressing the home key, trying to
> invoke a shutdown/restart by
> holding down the power key - nothing happens.
>

> The battery was at about 95% when it went in my pocket - so that's not
> the
> problem.
>
> I've tried plugging the phone into my laptop but it is not
> recognised by
> iTunes or showing as an attached USB device on System
> profiler.
>
> It seems like the phone is completely powered down and won't
> switch on.
>
> To channel Monty Python - it has ceased to be - it is an ex
> iPhone.
>
> I have just checked the receipt and the warranty expired 26th
> [...]
Archives -