On 26/09/2011, at 11:56 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> I always prefer and recommend using an external drive exclusively for Time
> Machine backups, then use another external drive for ’Storage’.
> But this is just my preference, others might not agree ;-)

I certainly agree with this given the current price of hard drives, and the
availability of devices like NewTech's Voyager hard drive caddy. A bare 1Tb
drive will set you back around $60 from Austin Computers, and few of these in
combination with the drive caddy allows for an almost unlimited choice of
backup routines. I have one for Time Machine backups (which is mounted most of
the time), another I swap out once a week for a complete Carbon Copy clone, and
yet another with a full installation of Lion. Then there a couple of 500Gb USB
drives which I use for roaming data storage on my laptop.

There may still be some specific reasons for partitioning a hard drive, but
economy of space is no longer one of them.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948