Hi Chris,

As you don’t have Quicktime Pro, Stephen has already mentioned iMovie will do
the job.

If you are using a Canon EOS 7D, it records its movies as MOV files using AVC /
H.264 compression.
The choice of H.264 comes with the requirement of greater processing power,
though -- not only from the camera when recording, but also when playing back
or editing videos.
The more sophisticated encoding used in the H.264 standard requires quite a bit
of processor power to pull it apart and put it back together again, so
frame-accurate editing of H.264 requires a fast processor and capable editing
program.

In iMovie’09 when importing HD (File > Import > Movies) you have two choices
for optimizing video format:

FULL - Maintains the best HD video quality but requires large amounts of hard
disk space and a fast Mac.

LARGE: Optimizes the HD Video to a smaller size, so files use less hard disk
space and play smoothly on all Macs.

iMovie when optimizing the video will convert the codec that comes out of the
camera H.264 to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) which is better for editing.

There is a video here that might be worth having a look at before you decide
what codec to use for editing the HD footage.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z6r80jWCxU>

Canon 7D Video Recording
<http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DVIDEO.HTM>