Hi Warwick, I suggest you do a sync, backup then restore. It'll take a bit of
time but worth it.

As it is a new unit, did you do the set up process in configuring with the Mac?
I suppose in my first paragraph that it is all set up on the Mac as a
"recognised" iPod.

In the process of restoring, it may request to do an iOS update, if it isn't
already the most current (5.0.2 I think). The iOS update took me 3 hours to
download the other day on one of my (kids') 3 iPod Touch's. It's around 750MB.

Regards

Peter Crisp
Project Services Manager (A)

GHD