Hi Pat,

In answer to your question about software licensing for software bought from
the Mac App Store, you can run the software on any and all Mac's that are for
your personal use.

 http://www.macworld.com/article/157018/2011/01/appstore_licensing.html

My suggestion on upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is that providing your
hardware is somewhat recent, just go ahead. In my experience the upgrade is as
smooth and easy as any Apple upgrade. With proper backups you can back it out
if anything goes wrong but the chances of that are small. Lion has had the
fastest uptake of any Apple OS with good reason. It has better memory
management, better security, a much improved interface, and many improved
native apps -- especially Mail. The only caveats would be if you run legacy
applications that require Rosetta, or if you have old hardware which has no
Lion device drivers.

As is usual with a new Apple OS, for a ridiculously small cost old hardware
gets a new lease on life. :-)

Cheers,
Carlo