Hi Jewels,

If I understand you correctly, you are running 10.5.8 and would like the
keys on your (older) keyboard to perform the functions as indicated on the
keys - rather than the newer function allocations.

It should be possible - I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and my keyboard
works as it has always done, eg:
F1 is decrease brightness
F2 is increase brightness
F3 is Expose
F4 is dashboard
F5 & f6 currently unallocated
F7, F8 & F9 are the iTunes controls previous track, play/pause & next track
F10 is sound mute
F11 & F12 are volume up/down
F13 to F19 are currently unallocated.

However, this is not as set by the System Preferences/ Keyboard Shortcuts as
when I check there it shows the settings as (I think) you are seeing/finding
(and as Ronni refers to) ie:
Dashboard - F12
Decrease brightness - F14
Increase Brightness - F15
Expose - All Windows - F9
Expose - Application Windows - F10
Expose - Desktop - F11
Note all these boxes are ticked.

I think the setting you are looking for is in System preferences under the
main Keyboard tab - where you see a box labelled
"Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"
I have this box unticked - I suspect you have this box ticked.

If you untick it, you should get your old behaviour back and, in this case,
the fn key takes you to the other function - eg

My settings (with the box unticked)
F12 - increase sound
Fn F12 - Dashboard

Your current settings (with the box ticked)
F12 - Dashboard
Fn F12 - increase sound

I hope the above makes sense ;o)

Different people obviously prefer the function keys to operate differently -
but at least Apple gives you the option to choose!

I'm with you on this - I like the function keys to perform as per the
printed icons and I am happy to press the fn key to get the other function
set (though I very rarely actually do this).

To summarise, in System Preference/Keyboard, try the following:
€   Under the keyboard shortcuts tab - make sure you have all the relevant
"F" key boxes checked
€   Under the keyboard tab - uncheck the box labelled
"Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

I believe this will return you to the behaviour you desire.

HTH

Cheers

Neil
--