Hi WAMUGers,

Mac emailed me Offlist this morning with his Firefox problem, so I am posting
the solution back to List in case anyone else experiences Dock problems. Such
as not showing the light under an application’s icon when it is running, not
showing an app in the dock when it is running, not being able to drag an App to
the dock.

/Quote taken from Mac’s email to me:
Ronni ,I can have Firefox open and running but it does not appear in the dock.
If I get it from applications and try to put it into the dock it will not go. I
did no think you could have an application running and it not being in the
dock. I can run it by doing a spotlight search and then opening from spotlight
but that gets tiresome !
Malcolm McCallum
/End Quote:

My replies to Mac:

> Hi Mac,
>
> What version of OS X are you running?
> What version of Firefox do you currently have installed? The current version
> is 10.0.2
>
> How did you install the Firefox update?
> A) by using the Update function in Firefox  - Firefox Preferences > Advanced
> - Firefox Updates: Automatically install updates or check for updates
> B) by downloading from the Firefox download page

Hi Mac,

As I have not heard back from you and I have to rush out to a client now.
>From re-reading your email, I suspect you have some corruption / fault with
>The Dock.

If Firefox is installed correctly and the Firefox Application is in your
Application Folder and you can open it from by double clicking the Application
icon in Applications and it runs perfectly … BUT does not show as a running app
in the Dock!

This indicates there is a fault / corruption in your Dock.

If this is what is happening:
Quit all running Applications.
Then:

Relaunch the Dock:

1. Open Terminal.app in your Applications > Utilities
2. Copy & Paste this command

killall Dock

3. Hit Return
4. Quit terminal.
5. Open Firefox from the Applications folder

See if this solves your problem.

If it does, you can then drag the Firefox icon from the Applications folder
onto the Dock beside Safari.

If it doesn’t you will need to delete the plist file, so email back and let me
know how you get on and if it has not sorted the problem for you, I’ll email
details on what files to delete.
——
Update:
Mac has emailed back letting me know that the Relaunching of Dock has fixed his
problem.
Mac did need to run the command "killall Dock" a second time, but this should
not have been necessary.
==========
A bit more info about the Dock:

When an application is running, it will automatically show up in the Dock.
If you click and hold on the application in the Dock it will present you with a
popup menu with some options.
Among them is ‘Keep in Dock’.

To Add a Application to the Dock:
Drag the Application’s icon from the Applications Folder onto the Dock,
anywhere LEFT of the Divider mark.

To add a Document or Folder to the Dock:
Note:  The divider between the section that contains Home, folders and the
trash.
You can drag between the divider and the trash any documents you want instant
access to.
If you drag folders to that section, clicking on the folder once there will
reveal a hierarchical menu of that folder's contents.

The Divider:
You can Drag this dashed line to resize the Dock.
You can Control-Click it to see the divider’s Contextual Menu to bring up a
menu with quick access to some of the settings in the Dock preference pane and
a command for opening the Dock preference pane.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
All shortcuts on the Dock are just that, shortcuts, and nothing more.
Don't make the mistake of removing the file from the hard drive after putting
it in the Dock.
If you do, you will never be able to access that file once in the trash, or
emptied.

The dock is there for instant access.  It is NOT a data storage folder.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)