Definitely best to rip all of your DVDs onto a nice big hard disk on your Mac
and then sync whichever ones you want onto the iPad.

This way you don't run the risk of scratching or getting dirty fingerprints on
the DVDs, you also have instant access to the DVDs without being forced to sit
through all the cruft at the start of the DVD that you can't usually fast
forward thru and you can keep your originals safely
locked away as a backup.

I wish I had done this with our complete set of 3 Lord Of the Rings DVD box
sets. We still have the empty DVD cases but the discs themselves have somehow
disappeared never to be seen again.  I never got around to ripping them onto
our lounge room iMac's Drobo RAID array so now we are down almost a dozen very
expensive discs.  :-(

-Mart