I find the sequence of events somewhat hard to follow - but have just one
observation:

If you had the G4 mounted as a target drive on the iMac and then aborted a
transfer to the iMac and deleted the destination folder on the iMac then you
obviously wouldn't expect to have it on the iMac - but, as others have
already said, you would expect the original to be still on the G4.

However, IF you somehow deleted the original while still in target mode AND
emptied the trash whilst still in target mode then you have, in effect,
emptied the trash on BOTH discs - in which case, without a good backup to
fall back on, data recovery is probably your only hope.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton