Hi Shayne

Thanks for your comments on speed with a Mac with comparable specs.  Problem
now fixed (??).

I had an odd event yesterday which may have caused the slowdown.  NeoOffice
advised of a software upgrade (to 3.3 Beta2) which I accepted.  However it did
not seem to download as I immediately got an error message "neooffice.dmg not
recognized".  It was not clear if this was an iMac or NeoOffice message in
Safari.  In Downloads I clicked on the "X" across the greyed-out image.  The
image disappeared and presumably went into Trash.   I  returned to the website
a little later to attempt another download.   Got the same error message.  This
time I perused the N.O. website for help (I had just paid them $10 which went
through without problems!).   I then noticed the Download folder was displaying
an activity bar 50% complete.   Yes, despite the "error" message the .dmg file
was apparently being downloaded anyway.

NeoOffice 3.3 was eventually installed and it worked.   Did housekeeping and
the image file sent to Trash.   Later at night I attempted to Empty Trash - but
got message that "…dmg was in use and could not be deleted".   Closed the App;
"put back" the file from Trash and then Trashed it again.  Same message.
Finally did a Restart.  This time the process of trashing the file from the
download folder and emptying trash worked perfectly.

There is a possibility that the first NeoOffice download I had Trashed was
still downloading in the background (in Trash?) when I started the second
download.  I don't know if it was the first or second download that required
the Restart to free up any handles that may have locked up.  It may have been
this lock-up that caused the slowdown effect long past the time when NeoOffice
was installed.

The speed has been good today.  I checked iStat Pro and now have Activity
Monitor open and they shows no problem with resources.   And again, it seems
that a good old fashioned Restart cleared away all the cobwebs.

Cheers
Alan