Hi Paul,

Just a quick question.
In System Preferences > Time Machine > Options - Do you have "Notify after old
backups are deleted" selected?

If so:
Unselect it, then Restart your Mac, then Connect the newly erased 1TB external
drive, and see if you receive "This backup is too large for the backup disk".

If you have completely erased and formatted the external disk correctly it may
just be a incorrect message displaying.
By unselecting the "Notify etc" and restarting etc it might be enough to get
things going again.