On 08/10/2012, at 12:18 PM, Alan Smith <sma...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

Hi Alan,

You have never explained to me what you meant by this comment you made.
>>> Came to unconfirmed conclusion that my basic model iMac (no graphics card?)

What do you mean "No Graphics card"?
Your iMac should have a  Graphics Card  NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or ATI Radeon HD
4670

> Oddity No 1:  Console log messages show a lot of mdworker, lsboxd and sandbox
> events every few minutes while Mac is sleeping OR awake (but quiet).
> ("mdworker unable to talk to lsboxd" is typical.)   Forums suggest this may
> be normal for OS X 10.8 and is to do with Spotlight.   Doesn't sound quite
> right to me, but then …

That is correct.  mdworker is part of Spotlight, which is basically a search
engine for your Mac (think Google but locally, for your own files).
"mdworker is short for ‘metadata server worker’.  mdworker is basically the
core technology behind Mac OS X’s awesome search engine Spotlight, it spiders
meta data from your Mac and its files and creates a readable index so that you
can find things practically instantaneously via Spotlight (command-spacebar)."

lsboxd is short for 'launch services sandbox daemon'

I would suggest you  'Boot from Recovery Partition', then 'Repair Drive' and
then 'Repair Permissions' and then Reboot as normal.

To Boot into the Lion Recovery HD'
1. Hold down either the 'Option key' on your Mac while the Mac is starting up.
2. When you see the 'Startup Manager', let go the Option key and click the
Up-Arrow button below the Recovery HD icon.
3 Open Disk Utility
4. 'Repair Disk' and then 'Repair Disk Permissions

> Oddity No 2:  With iMac sleeping, sometimes the Belkin LEDs are not flashing
> - just the WiFi LED flicks about every 90 seconds.  There are NO "mdworker"
> log entries in Console during this state.    I confirm that Apple TV does not
> wake Mac in this state.

Well, there is nothing happening on the Network, so the LED lights won't be
flashing. The Wi-Fi LED will flash when a wireless device iPhone/iPad is on the
Network.

Your Apple TV  is not waking your iMac in 'Wake On Lan' .... Do you have "Put
hard disks to sleep when possible' selected in System Preferences > Energy
Saver? If so try disabling this setting and see if it makes any difference.
Even try disabling 'Wake for network access'... as the iMac is not waking with
this enabled.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774>

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)