Hi Paul,

You could try Resetting the SMC (System Management Contoller)

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or
Intel-based Xserve

        • Shut down the computer.
        • Unplug the computer's power cord.
        • Wait fifteen seconds.
        • Attach the computer's power cord.
        • Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the
computer.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964>

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)