Hi Alan,

Peter H & I  covered iMic and CD Spin Doctor (Spin Doctor) in posts to WAMUG on
16/10/2012 Subject: Cassette Transfer.

>> I guess "Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone" probably
>> precludes just plugging in a brand 'X' headset from Dick Smith.

Yes., I certainly wouldn't try just plugging in a "X" brand Dick Smith headset!

The MacBook Air & the NEW iMac has a single headphone port, which should be
more accurately called the “headset” port.
Like the headphone port on iOS devices, this jack supports audio input as well
as output – with this caveat: The microphone or headset in question must be of
the three-ring variety, just like Apple’s headsets.

You should be able to use the USB Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Interface -
GC16035
<http://store.griffintechnology.com/imic>

<http://www.streetwise.com.au/griffin-imic-usb-audio-interface.html>
<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Griffin-GC16035-iMic-USB-Audio-Interface-Sound-Card-New-/200812396682>
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2929>

Other Method:
Using an Audio Interface to Connect a Tape Player to a Computer:

An audio interface is an external piece of hardware that enables you to connect
a tape player to a computer.
You’re going to need an audio interface that features “line-level” inputs,
which is the type of audio signal that a cassette tape player sends through its
outputs. Line-level inputs are found on most audio interfaces, but they’re not
universal on every model, so be sure that the one you plan on using has them.

Most audio interfaces connect to computers through standard USB ports, but some
models connect with FireWire ports, ExpressCard slots and PCI. It may be a good
idea to get a little more acquainted with audio interfaces before you purchase
one. You can learn everything you need to know about them in the B&H InDepth
Audio Interface Buying Guide.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/buying-guides/audio-interfaces>

The basic idea behind this method is to connect either the headphone output or
the main output of a tape player to the line-level inputs on an audio
interface. The audio interface will be connected to the computer, and the
computer must have audio recording software loaded on it.
When everything is connected and ready to go, you start recording in the audio
software, and then hit PLAY on the tape player.

I know nothing about this product other than what is on the web links:
<http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/tape-2-pc>
<http://www.ionaudio.com/ezvc>

The kind of audio cable that you need to connect either the headphone output or
the main output to the audio interface will vary. Some headphone outputs are
1/8" stereo jacks, and others are 1/4" stereo. Most tape decks feature red and
white RCA jacks as their main outputs, but it’s possible that it could be
another kind of connector.
The kind of line-level inputs you will find on various audio interfaces are
diverse as well.