Hi Chris,

A few things to help you speed up your MBP.

1.  Keep the desktop clean:

If you have a lot of files on the desktop your Mac will slow down. Tidy up
those files by placing them in folders and the Finder will be snappier

2. Slim down the contents of your hard drive:

If your hard drive is nearly full, your Mac will run more slowly. Archive or
trash old files you no longer need.

3. Check login items:

Background applications and processes can slow down your Mac. Open the Accounts
system preference, select your account, and click the Login Items button to
take a gander at what’s slated to run at startup. Do you need everything it
lists? If not, delete the unnecessary items.

4. Check Activity Monitor:

Launch Activity Monitor (found in /Applications/Utilities), choose My Processes
from the pop-up menu at the top of the window, and click the %CPU heading. Look
at the top several items. This tells you what’s drawing most of your Mac’s
attention. Are there items there that you can do without?

5. Quit applications:

Per the last suggestion, it’s very easy to run multiple applications on your
Mac. But perhaps there are more running than you need. Look in the Dock. If you
see scads of applications with little blue dots beneath their icons (indicating
that they’re active), quit those you aren’t planning to use in the near future.

6. Restart your browser and clear its cache:

Browsers are notorious for slowing down after they’ve been running for a long
time. If you find that your Web surfing has been reduced to dog-paddling, quit
and restart your browser. If it’s still slow, clear its cache. In Safari choose
Safari -> Empty Cache.
In Firefox choose Firefox -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network and click the
Clear Now button.

7. Restart your Mac every so often:

Like battery-sponsored bunnies, a Mac running OS X can stay on its feet
seemingly forever. Launch Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities) and enter
uptime. You’ll learn how long your Mac has been running since the last reboot.
If it’s been trotting along for weeks, restarting it may afford it the
opportunity to flush out some old junk that’s slowing it down.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)