Hi Chris,

First a Warning if you still have TechTool Pro 4 on your system:
TTP 4 is NOT compatible with  Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion, so if you 
are running anything above OS X 10.5.8 you need to use the Uninstall feature of 
the TechTool Pro 4.x installer to remove TTP 4.

I have used all versions of  TTP and have TechTool Pro 6.0.6 running on my 
current MacBook Pro.
TechTool Pro includes the features of this new program plus more, but TTP $100 
can be overkill for most people.
Checkmate sounds interesting... especially at your price $20.
I notice they have an Introductory Offer Price of $29.99.

Re: MicroMat Checkmate software:

It reads ok and at $20 for you & $30 Introductory Price for others it is very 
well priced ;-)
<https://www.micromat.com/checkmate>

<http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/11/13/new.tool.discreetly.watches.smart.status.file.structure.issues/>
/Quote:
Checkmate runs when a Mac is typically idle and only runs tests during those 
times, stopping any time a user returns to the keyboard. The company claims 
that it can identify hard drive, memory and file problems before symptoms 
become visible to users, allowing corrective measures can be taken to prevent 
data loss or hard drive failure.
/End Quote

As I have not tested Checkmate I can't give any advise on 'if it does the job 
it is designed to do and how well it does the job'.
But Micromat have been around a long time and are a well respected company, 
I've never had any problems with using their software.
 
And Micromat claims that Checkmate will not make any changes or take corrective 
action by itself. It only reports problems it finds that need attention, and 
makes suggestions for how the user can correct the problem. 
Users can then take the necessary steps to prevent problems from becoming more 
serious in the future.


Cheers,
Ronni

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)


On 01/12/2012, at 6:27 AM, Chris Burton <[email protected]> wrote:

> Good morning muggers
> 
> I have received an email from Micromat asking if I would like to upgrade from 
> TechTool Pro 4 to their new Checkmate diagnostic software.
> 
> Has anyone used this software or knows of reviews for it? Is it necessary to 
> use for a MBPro? I havnt used TTP for at least 4 or 5 years now so am not 
> sure if the software is better now or what?
> 
> Thanks very much for any advice on this. (the update is only about $20) which 
> seems reasonable
> 
> Best regards
> 
> Chris
> 
> 
> Christopher L.K. Burton
> Director
> Western Whale Research
> PO Box 1076
> Dunsborough WA 6281
> Mobile: 0419 199 120
> Email: [email protected] 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
http://lists.wamug.org.au/pipermail/wamug.org.au-wamug/attachments/20121201/0f0e0557/attachment.htm
 
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>