Hi Ken,

How many times have I posted to WAMUG about the dangers of installing and using
MacKeeper??
MacKeeper is awful. It's been described as "junkware" and is known to cause all
sorts of problems.
The best I can advise you is to completely remove it from your machine.
You may have to live with whatever data loss it caused.

Hopefully you've been making backups with Time Machine or another program and
can recover your data that way.

This email to WAMUG I posted back in May 2011:
/Begin Quote:
Hi Brian,

Have recently installed MacKeeper and let it do its 'magic' but no other major
changes.

Do its ‘magic’ … ?

Only recently I had to charge a Client $700 after I had to fix ’The Mess’
MacKeeper had done to his MacBook Pro.
What you have mentioned below were some of the symptoms he was experiencing
before the MBP virtually stopped completely.

This Application changes System files and messes with the Operating System,
without your knowing.

I know it is advertised & recommended all over the Internet, but I would never
recommend installing this Application.
I don’t like Applications that mess with the Operating System.

I’ve seen what damage MacKeeper can and does do and how difficult it is to
uninstall all the associated files it leaves all over the place even after you
’think’ it is uninstalled.
When they open their library, they will see around 50 folders; within these are
the files  MacKeeper left over on their computer.

Some of the files I’ve found still on people’s computers after they
‘uninstalled’ MacKeeper were:

/Library/Application Support/MacKeeper
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus
~/Library/Preferences/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plist
~/Library/Preference/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.Backup.agent
~/Library/Caches/com.zeobit.MacKeeper

I’ve known of instances where people have had to do a complete restore after
trying to delete MacKeeper.

It does need to be uninstalled correctly to get rid of all the associated files.
There is an uninstaller now with the latest version and their support say that
it totally removes all the components of the App.

/Quote:
"So to remove the app one should just move it to the trash, fill in the survey
form containing the question about what's the reason of your desire to
uninstall MacKeeper, and finally press 'uninstall' button - that will totally
remove all the components of the app.”
/End Quote:

I used this uninstaller once and still found some associated MacKeeper
‘components’ (associated files) in /Library and ~/Library
as I mentioned above which needed to be manually trashed.

I would suggest you get rid of MacKeeper completely, do a “Repair Permissions”
after.
I would also, boot from the Snow Leopard Installation disk & use Disk Utility
(on the Installer Disc) to ‘Repair Disk’.

/End Quote