Stuart,

At http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4259946 I found
> The Attachments folder is located in your user home directory in one of the
> following locations (depending on what version you're running):
>
> Users/Username/Library/Mail Downloads
>
> Users/Username/Library/Mail/Mail Downloads

I recall some previous posts to the WAMUG  about these being deleted each time
you quit Mail.app, but like everything I say, I might not be right.

If you see a bunch of files in the folder after you have quit and restarted
Mail.app, does not a Select All (Command A) then Delete work???

Love to know if any of my helpful hints are working for you Stuart. If not,
I'll get back to what I was doing.  Not complaining mind you. I like helping
people out, but when I never hear back I get kinda weary of giving without
return.

Tim