Hi all

I've been lurking on this discussion. Thank you Severin for your suggestion to 
use HandyPrint. Only a day or so ago Elaine (my wife) asked me if she could 
print from her new iPad. I said yes if you have an Airprint printer, which we 
have not. However I remembered I had installed AirprintActivator once on her 
iMac. For some reason it wouldn't work so I didn't persevere. Today following 
your HandyPrint tip I looked it up and found it used to be AirprintActivator 
but has been renamed to avoid Apple copyright wrath. I've downloaded and 
installed the latest HandyPrint version and it automatically recognised both 
our Samsung laser printer and our Epson printer/scanner. Voila, instant print 
from the iPad. There will be no stopping her now. 

Thanks again

Reg

On 20/05/2013, at 1:11 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you do not have an AirPrint enabled printer then handyPrint  
> (www.netputing.com/handyprint/‎) is very useful, with some limitations.  
> Severin Crisp
> 
> On 20/05/2013, at 8:04 AM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Hi Walter,
>> 
>> AirPrint Basics:
>> The AirPrint-enabled printer must be connected to the same home Wi-Fi 
>> network as the iOS device. 
>> This is the default configuration in most home Wi-Fi networks.
>> 
>> You also need an AirPrint-enabled printer listed in this article.            
>>                                                                         
>> 
>> Printers not listed in this article are not supported by AirPrint.
>> 
>> <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356>
>> 
>> Summary
>> In iOS, AirPrint-enabled applications can print to an AirPrint-enabled 
>> printer—and you don't need to install a driver or configure the printer 
>> queue. Tap print, select a AirPrint-enabled printer, and print. It's that 
>> simple.
>> 
>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>> 
>> On 20/05/2013, at 7:08 AM, Peter Hinchliffe <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> 
>>> On 17/05/2013, at 5:48 PM, F.W. Hänel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hello all,
>>>> 
>>>> Has anyone tried printing from iPhone/iPad directly to a WiFi direct 
>>>> printer when a WiFi network was not available ?
>>>> Does it work ? What printers are available ?
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> Well - WiFi is by definition, a wireless network, so if there's no network 
>>> available WiFi printing is impossible. That being said, if you can set you 
>>> iPhone or iPad to be a WiFi hotspot, you might be able to get a printer to 
>>> join that network, in which case printing jus might work. I don't know, I 
>>> never tried it.
>>> 
>>> The only printers that I know of for sure that support Airprint out of the 
>>> box are certain HP models and many recent Canon printers. Others on the 
>>> list may have more information.
>>> 
>>> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
>>> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
>>> Perth, Western Australia
>>> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
>>> 
>>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
> 
> ____________________________________________________
> 
>              Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
> 15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
>                   ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
>                            mail to: [email protected]
> ____________________________________________________
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

Reg Whitely

Home: 08 9921 7272
Mob: 04 8899 7313
Email: [email protected]



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>