Is there an App, or a Finder setting, to verify the integrity of copied data in 
individual files?   

My immediate concern is to check the integrity of EyeTV exports moved from one 
Mac to another, but since discovering a corrupt file, I now have concerns about 
all files I copy, including backups via Time Machine and SuperDuper.  

My EyeTV source file is on the main iMac (late 2012 - 27inch) and destination 
is a Firewire external hard drive attached to a second "media" iMac (late 2009 
- 21.5 inch).   Both iMacs have Mountain Lion OS.   To complicate the issue, 
the file is copied twice to get it to its destination.   It is not always 
obvious that the copied file is corrupt - it can be some time after the 
original has been deleted! 

My file transfer method:   Ethernet does not work on the media Mac, so I use 
AirDrop.  Typical example: I record an EyeTV program and export the edited clip 
to desktop on the main iMac.  I then use AirDrop to copy it to the media Mac 
downloads folder (the default?).  Next, the file is copied to a Firewire 
external drive and the link is finally Option-Copied to iTunes.  I would 
normally delete the desktop file and the EyeTV original as soon as possible.  
(Then I watch the show via Apple TV!)  

I think AirDrop uses Mac-to-Mac WiFi and bypasses the Time Capsule.  If so, 
this may cut out one potential problem with repeating wireless data.

A secondary question: could I use AirDrop to copy the file in one step directly 
to the Firewire drive (and still apply a data integrity test)?

Regards, Alan

Alan Smith
  Late 2012 iMac 27" Intel Quad Core i5   3.2Ghz 8GB RAM - OSX 10.8.3
  Late 2009 iMac 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 12G RAM - OSX 10.8.3
  iPad2;  ATV2;  iPhone5















-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>