Hi Ronni, its a A1430, which is a 3rd Generation, so i guess its not the retina
display, I will try your suggestions tomorrow and see if that helps.

Best Regards Hugh

Subject: Re: iPad and iPhoto
From: ro...@mac.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:39:07 +0800
To: wamug@wamug.org.au

Hi Hugh,
What model iPad do you have, I thought you had a new Retina Display like
mine?As I mentioned before the resolution is 2048-by-1536 pixels.
But what concerns me is that iTunes should be automatically optimizing the
photos to a compatible size when you sync to the iPad.
A sync won't happen if you are running out of space on your iPad.But if you
have plenty of space, I would suggest you delete the "iPod Photo Cache" which
is created in the iPhoto database when transferring photos to an iPod, iPhone,
and iPad.
Important: Deleting the "iPod Photo Cache" folder will NOT remove the original
images from your Library
With iPhoto'11:1. Quit iPhoto 2. In Finder go to Pictures > iPhoto Library. 3.
Control-click on the iPhoto Library and at the menu window that appears, select
"Show Package Contents"4. Locate the "iPod Photo Cache folder" and delete this
folder.5. Try syncing photos again.
All selected photos will need to be re-optimized again, which will
automatically create a new iPod Photo Cache folder in your iPhoto library,
If you still find you are unable to sync the landscape photos:1. In iTunes,
select your iPad, then select the Photos pane and turn OFF Photo syncing.2.
Sync your device. Important: This will remove all synced photos from your
iPad3. Disconnect your iPad4. Remove your iPod photo cache (as above)5. Connect
your iPad to iTunes.6. Select the iPad, then select the Photos pane and turn ON
Photo syncing.7. Sync your device.
If you are still unable to sync the landscape photos, well I guess the only
option you have then is to rescale to 2048-by-1536.
Cheers,RonniSent from Ronni's iPad4