Hi John,

When you first opened Mail after upgrading to Mavericks, did you allow Mail to
'Update'?

Exactly what Mail Boxes are missing?

Do you have "SMART MAILBOXES" and every MAILBOX other than "ON MY MAC"
No "ON MY MAC" (greyed) under "MAILBOXES"?

When you place your cursor near ICLOUD or any of the MAILBOXES  (greyed) that
are showing... do you see 'Hide' to the right of it?

You can't Rebuild a Mailbox that is not showing, you have to select it to
Rebuild.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)