Hi Ronni

Thanks for indicating a possible cause of multiplying Bookmarks.  I used to do 
manual iTunes backups/syncs, then advanced to WiFi.  When I activated iCloud on 
the devices I did not make any changes to the previous iTunes settings.   I 
will follow your step by step syncing guide.   Then a careful reading of the 
User Guides and Apple Support articles would seem to be in order.

A careful reading of future iOS ugrade steps would be in order too:  I've 
inadvertently signed up for FaceTime on the iPad, which I don't envisage ever 
using.

Cheers
Alan


On 01/11/2013, at 3:18 PM, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> On 1 Nov 2013, at 12:25 pm, Alan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Is there a simple neat way of retreating from iCloud active on several 
>> devices?
>> 
>> Safari 6.1 on my late 2012 iMac (OSX Mountain Lion) now displays unwanted 
>> bookmarks in the Favorites Bar and the customised Toolbar has changed.  
>> (Mail signatures have also reverted to old versions, but possibly an 
>> unrelated issue.)    These symptoms have been noticed since I activated 
>> iCloud and other standard software updates in the last week.
>> 
>> I had a stable system with two iMacs, an iPad, iPhone and AppleTV.   When I 
>> updated to iOS 7.0.3 on my iPhone5 and iPad2, I thought it was time to jump 
>> into this iCloud thinggy and use some of the facilities.   I also activated 
>> one iMac for Photo Stream syncing. 
>> 
>> I have no idea of what is happening in the Cloud, or if iCloud syncing has 
>> anything to do with the OSX Safari oddities.
> 
> You might have setup iCloud sync and also iTunes sync for Safari Bookmarks. 
> In the earliest days of the iPhone and iPod touch, the only way to keep 
> calendars, contacts, bookmarks, and notes in sync with your Mac or PC was to 
> do wired syncs via iTunes. MobileMe later made wireless push synchronisation 
> possible, and iCloud maintains that feature.
> 
> Even so, syncing these types of data via iTunes is still possible with a 
> wired sync or a new-in- iOS-5 wireless sync. 
> And that’s a problem, because if you sync an iOS device both with iTunes and 
> with iCloud, you’ll almost inevitably encounter sync loops that lead to 
> endless duplication of data—especially calendar and contact items.
> 
> So, it’s not enough simply to turn iCloud syncing on; you must also turn 
> iTunes syncing off for these types of data, if it isn’t off already! To do 
> this, follow these steps:
> 
> 1. Connect your iOS device to your computer.
> 2. Open iTunes.
> 3. Select your device in the sidebar on the left.
> 4. In the main part of the iTunes window, click Info.
> 
> 5. If any of the following items are checked, uncheck them: Sync Address Book 
> Contacts, Sync iCal Calendars, Sync Safari Bookmarks, and Sync Notes.
> 
> 6. Click Apply.
> 
> The selected data types stop syncing via iTunes and instead sync via iCloud 
> only.
> 
> 
>>  But I would like to return to a simple and stable state of physical 
>> control.  And then - perhaps - gradually reactivate the iCloud services.   
>> To paraphrase a respected WAMUG member  -  "fix all problems before 
>> installing Mavericks (and make a backup)". 
>> 
>> Kind regards
>> Alan
>> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>