Hi Severin,

Comments in situ

On 11 Dec 2013, at 5:08 pm, Severin Crisp <sevcr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> I realise I have a bookmarks mess, the result no doubt of many sets of
> bookmarks being carried forward, updated and added to over the years through
> system upgrades and the like.  I am confused in particular between the
> Bookmarks Bar and the Favorites Bar which I have had in my mind as one and
> the same thing.

Bookmarks Bar is now called Favorites Bar

> Along the top in Safari I have a row of items, for me they are my favourites,
> sitting in my bookmarks bar, things I refer to daily or wish to have handy
> for quick reference.   The little grid of squares, second from the left,
> brings up Top Sites (set to be 24 of them) being a collection of recently
> visited sites in no special order it seems.  I never use this.
> The leftmost item, the book,  opens a sidebar and displays two folders, one
> called Favorites Bar and one called Bookmarks Bar each containing a series of
> folders of bookmarks, for no obvious reason some are open and some are
> closed.  The contents are similar but not identical with odd items in one set
> not appearing in the other and strange duplications within Favorites or
> Bookmarks.  I would like to rationalise this mess and could just go through
> item by item to make them identical as a first step.

> I believe that Favorites Bar is the one that is shared via the Cloud to our
> laptop and iPad.

iCloud syncs your Safari Bookmarks to all your devices.

The new addition to the Sidebar: the Shared Links tab. Once you’ve logged in to
a Twitter or LinkedIn account via the Internet Accounts system preference pane,
any posts that contain hyperlinks are displayed in the Shared Links list. If
you truly use your Twitter stream as a replacement for RSS feeds, Shared Links
is a concentrated burst of Twitter linkage that eliminates the middleman.

The list of iCloud services on your Mac, or iOS device includes either Safari
or Bookmarks (depending on the platform ).
Either way, this item, when enabled, syncs your Safari bookmarks among your
devices.

For Macs and iOS devices, this feature also syncs Safari’s Reading
List—articles or Web pages you’ve saved to read later—and, in a manner of
speaking, Safari’s open tabs.
If you click the cloud button to the left of the address/search field in Safari
on a Mac, a popover appears listing the currently open Safari tabs on all the
other devices that are signed in to the same iCloud account.
Click a tab name to open it on the Mac you’re using now.

In Safari on an iPhone or iPod touch, tap the Pages icon, and swipe upward
(past the thumbnails of any open pages on the current device) to see a list of
the tabs open in Safari on your other devices, grouped by device.
In Safari on an iPad, tap the cloud  icon in the toolbar to display a
comparable list.

>   Is the group called Bookmarks Bar then redundant and deletable.

In Safari click on Help > Safari Help in the resulting window type bookmarks.
Also the link below might be of help to you:
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044124/hands-on-with-os-x-mavericks-safari-and-icloud-keychain.html>

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)