Hi all, I have reached a point where the size of my iTunes (230GB)
and iPhoto (130GB) libraries that I need to carry them on a USB
mounted external drive. I’ve also done some on-line reading about
making iTunes and iPhoto libraries able to be shared and this seems
straightforward, which would be a good thing as I would have a
consolidated library for each in one place, but I am concerned that if
I place them on a USB drive attached to my Time Capsule USB port for
sharing purposes, then I am unsure how I can still make sure they’re
backed up as they won’t be associated with any specific machine and
hence sparesebundle. Is there another configuration that is better for
this requirement? 

        Once I’ve done this, I still have to embark on the consolidation of
the respective libraries as well – that’s a mind numbing thought
to contemplate; a quick file merging program that identifies
duplicates from file metadata and can quickly and easily get it all
merged and cleaned up. I’ve tried Tune Up for iTunes and it is
hopelessly slow for a library of this size – so I blew $50 there for
that piece of ahem. 

        As I have only just recently inherited my sons (!) MacBook I am also
unsure how I would get Time Machine to include an external drive
attached to the MacBook in its backup of the MBP to the sparesebundle
file anyway. 

        I really want to move away from a single iTunes and iPhoto library
for each MacBook in my house (there are 5 Macbooks) where are lot of
the content (>90%) is common with at least one other machine which in
turn makes each TC Backup file for each machine to contain duplication
to an extreme and hence filling my TC up. I have reached a state where
I appreciate a TC bigger than 1TB will be needed and I will probably
get a 3TB in due course, BUT I still don’t want the duplication and
loss of backup capability. 

        Does anyone out there have experience with the TC mounted sharing
setup for either iTunes or iPhoto or both and success stories or
otherwise. What are the other downsides if any that I’ve not
entertained above? I am aware that if these libraries are shared, they
can only be accessed by one machine at any one time. 

        Kind Regards and TIA 

        Pete. 

         
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>