On 23 May 2014, at 10:07 pm, Ronni Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2014, at 5:08 pm, Peter Curtis <pe...@augold.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone (Ronni in particular)
>> There have been a lot of warnings about Mac eventually losing it’s
>> protection against virus’s, and suggestions one should look at using some
>> form of virus protection.
>> On some investigation, I decided to give Avira a try but find it quite
>> intrusive (slowing down the computer in many instances)
>> I was wondering what the general consensus was on this subject? and in
>> particular, any views of Avira?
>> Kind regards
>> Peter
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> Do Macs really need Anti-virus protection?

Hear, hear Ronni! Even on Windows where viruses are rampant, your message is a
universal recipe for safe computing. On a Mac it's an iron-clad guarantee. As I
have said many times on this list, the best protection against malware is good
user behaviour. Remember, currently there are NO viruses which run on OS X.
None. There certainly are security "holes" which can be exploited, which is
true of any operating system, but on OS X they can do nothing without your
help. Any attempt to install something nefarious must receive your permission.
If you are asked for your admin password without your being conscious of having
created the situation, simply don't proceed.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948